Friday, October 21, 2011

Video killed the radio star

As many of you already know, C+T don't have cable television. They do have a TV and DVD player thanks to Nan (who I am surprised hasn't stopped by with an iron yet). So we can enjoy family movie nights and all pile onto one couch, trudge the 12 inch screen in from under the ping pong table, and cushion the floor with an extra mattress. There is no sitcom watching marathons or randomly checking into whats happening on the New Jersey coast. I will admit, I was a little scared of not having a television, no access to the news or learning how to renovate the bathroom I don't have thanks to HGTV or TrueBlood. No swapping Jeopardy answers with Papa Newcomb. Occasionally, I still have one of those days or moments where I would love nothing better than to just curl up on the couch and watch something mind numbing, but for the most part I don't really miss it. It does mean that sometimes, when we are bored and don't want to read a book or work in the garden or paint at the shop, we have to get a little more creative to entertain each other and ourselves.
Just the other night I decided to sing Trip an actual baby song. And so it began hush little baby don't say a word Mama's gonna buy you a mocking bird and if that mocking bird don't sing Mama's gonna buy you a diamond ring and if that diamond ring don't shine Mama's gonna buy you ... buy you ... Only two lines into the song and I couldn't quite remember the rest of the words, so what did I do? Call it a night and pack up my singing voice? Re-sing the same two lines over and over and over again? Wrong and wrong. I ploughed ahead, and although I will never actually be able to sing the exact words again, there were some amazing purchases made for baby that night, including a large piece of pie, a thing of hay, and my personal favorite pants like Sinbad's. The song only ended when Toff suggested an Aunt Kiki and if that Aunt Kiki isn't great, oh wait! Aunt Kiki is always great, the end.
And so, what began as a random stumbleupon when I was back in the States turned into an actual project. It's no secret that Trip's main animal theme right now are owls (thanks to a gorgeous owl quilt made by Great Meme) and what's an Aunt to do? Why make a sock owl mobile! Pleased to introduce the newest members of the family:
Natasha and Boris

Simba and Rafiki

Cher and Sonny





And although they are still being placed sporadically around the house, they will become a mobile at some point... whenever I am done playing with them. I also may be slightly obsessed with making them now, so if you would like a sock owl ornament for your Christmas tree, just tell me where to send it. And lets be honest, even if you don't tell me you want one, you may just get one anyway.

Last night I just may have topped myself with Morroccan Lamb Meatloaf: garlic, ginger, carrots, mint, zuchinni, cinnamon, onion, bread crumb, spice deliciousness.

SMOOCH,
Kiki.

1 comment:

  1. BAHAHAHA YOU TOOK SO MANY PHOTOS OF THE OWLS!!! Well played ma'am, well played. Also: that meatloaf was PHENOMENAL!

    ReplyDelete