Sunday, September 11, 2011

Worms in books

"When I finish a book I mope around for a few hours because I feel a hole in my heart. When I finish a series, it's even worse."

Since I graduated from nursing school (has it really been almost 3 years?!) I have been determined to read for pleasure again. No more textbooks, no more theories or nursing diagnoses or medical term flash cards. No more 35 page papers on colon resections (it's true, still saved to my hard drive, all that hard work is difficult to click and drag to the recycle bin).  I joined a book club and on top of reading a book a month, I would complete a book series in half that time. I don't know when it started but I have become obsessed with not a genre or author, but more with a continuation. I finally read all of the Harry Potter's (I know, a decade late), and moved onto the 13 book mega Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind, and it all snow balled from there. I guess there is a sense of accomplishment when they're all lined up on your book shelf, you can see the pages stacked one next to the other for two feet, it definitely feels impressive. I guess what I like is getting to know the characters more and more. If I've met you and got to know you and chose to spend time with you, why wouldn't I want our relationship to continue? After finishing A Game of Thrones I've been waiting for the second installment from the Aldinga Library (since Cara finally convinced me there was no point in adding that much weight to my luggage) and needed something to fill the gap. Thanks to a suggestion from C&T, right now I am closing in on the last and final book of the Tomorrow When the War Began series by Australian John Marsden. To say I recommend these novels would be slight underkill since I have literally spent the last week and a half with my nose stuck in book after book. And I'm beginning to get that feeling again, like a friend is moving away, this book will end and there won't be more. Sigh. Until the library calls that is.

Any suggestions?

Love and reading glasses,
-Kiki.

P.S. Does this beach look familiar?


1 comment:

  1. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. But I am sure Toff and Cara already suggested that one.

    ReplyDelete